An environmental scan of North American Catholic newspapers is completed to determine what newspapers exist, where they are located, and the extent of the holdings and formats. In Summer 2012 a test run was completed and over 800 found. The scan will result in a completed directory that is fully searchable and accessible online. The CRRA also encourages individual and collaborative digitization of twelve priority papers, and identification of repository options.
Newspapers often provide a missing Catholic dimension to many trends, issues, and questions about American Life. They include vital information about positions on anti-communism, abolition, and slavery, women's suffrage, immigration restriction, American imperial adventures in the Philippines, and the New Deal and labor unions. The bad news is many of these newspapers are difficult to access. The full runs can be scattered across different institutions, holdings can remain hidden, and if they are found they are rarely available digitally. The CRRA is poised to carry out its plan to locate, identify, document, preserve, and digitize these important resources.
Published: Philadelphia : [s.n.], 1833- .
Publication history: Vol. 1, no. 1 (Jan. 3, 1833)-
Ceased with issue for Dec. 27, 1856.
Notes: Merged with: Catholic visitor, to form: Catholic herald and visitor.
MSM - 1837-1838, 1838, 1841,1842, 1843, 1845, 1846, 1847, 1847-48, 1849-50
The Catholic Mirror began publication January 5, 1850 [v. 1, no. 1] and ceased June 13, 1908[?]. It was published weekly as the "official organ of the Archdiocese of Baltimore and various other dioceses" January 4, 1851-[December 28, 1901]. Volumes for May 2, 1885-[December 27, 1890] also called new ser., v. 1, no. 1-[v. 6, no. 36]. The newspaper continues the United States Catholic Magazine (Baltimore: 1849).
MSM v.1 1850, v.2 1851, v.3 1852, v.4 1853, v.5 1854, v.6 1855, v.7 1856, v.8 1857
The Catholic Miscellany, successor to the U.S. Catholic Miscellany, the first Catholic newspaper in the United States, is the official newspaper of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Charleston. It was founded by Bishop John England, the first bishop of Charleston in 1822. He had been assigned to the area the previous year.
MSM v.1 1822; v.6 1826-1827; v.7 1827-1828; v.8 1828-1829; v.9 1829 -1830; v.10 1830; v.11 1831-1832; v.12 1832-1833;
v.13 1833-1834; v.14 1834-1835; v.15 1835-1836; v.16 1836-1837; v.17 1837-1838; v.18 1838-1839; v.20 1840-1841
v.21 1841-1842; v.22 1842
Published: Hartford, Conn. : A. M. Talley.
Description: 2 v.
Publication history: Vol. 1-2; July 11, 1829-July 2, 1831.
Continued by: United States Catholic press.
MSM – v.1-2, 1829-1831; v.3 1831-1832; v.4 1832
The Catholic Standard (Philadelphia)
About Catholic standard. (Philadelphia [Pa.]) 1866-1895
Philadelphia [Pa.] (1866-1895)
Vol. 1, no. 1 (Jan. 6, 1866)-v. 30, no. 48 (Nov. 30, 1895).
Issued also on microfilm by American Theological Library Association; and Notre Dame Library.
Issues for Jan. 12, 1867-Nov. 30, 1895 called also whole no. 54-whole no. 1553.
Latest issue consulted: Vol. 20, no. 52 (Dec. 26, 1885).
Merged with: Catholic times (Philadelphia, Pa.), to form: Catholic standard and times.
Publishers: Mark Wilcox, 1868-1873; Hardy & Mahony, 1873-1893; Charles A. Hardy, 1893-1895. Cf. Pa. Hist. Commission.
Catholic Total Abstinence Union (Monthly Advocate) The work of Father Mathew in promoting temperance across the U.S. led to the establishment of numerous separate and independent Catholic temperance groups. The Catholic temperance societies of Connecticut created a state union in 1871, from which a national union was formed the following year at a convention in Baltimore, Maryland. One hundred seventy-seven such societies from ten states and the District of Columbia and representing a total of 26,481 members created the Catholic Total Abstinence Union of America.The Union included women's and juvenile societies as well as the Priest's Total Abstinence League. Its monthly publication was The C.T.A.U. Advocate. http://archive.org/details/historyofcatholi00gibbuoft
MSM v.1 (1) 1873 November – v. 2 (22) 1875 June
The Catholic Telegraph is a newspaper published by the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Cincinnati, which covers the Cincinnati metropolitan area, the greater Dayton area and other communities in the southwest region of Ohio, with a total diocesan population of approximately 500,000. The Telegraph is described on its official website as the oldest continuously published Catholic diocesan newspaper in the United States.
The Telegraph was established in October 1831 by Bishop Edward Fenwick, O.P., the Archdiocese's first bishop. The paper's use of the word "telegraph" predated the invention of the communication device by over a decade. As one of the first Catholic newspapers in the nation, the Telegraph was sold in cities throughout the country's middle section, including Louisville, Kentucky, Baltimore, Maryland, Washington, D.C., St. Louis, Missouri, and Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
MSM v.5 1835-1836
The New York Freeman formally the New-York freeman's journal and Catholic register, (1849-1918) was an American Catholic newspaper. It was owned at its inception by Bishop John Hughes.
From 1842 to 1849 it was known as the Freeman's journal and Catholic register then as the New York Freeman's Journal. As the New York Freeman's Journal, it was closed in 1861 it was closed by Secretary of State William Seward for anti-Union activity, but resumed publication as the New York Freeman's Appeal, all under the same editor, James McMaster.
MSM 1844, 1845, 1849, 1851, 1853-1854,1854, 1855, 1855-1856, 1856, 1857-1858, 1859-1860,1870-1872
Social Justice was an American Roman Catholic periodical published by Father Coughlin during the late 1930s and early 1940s. Social Justice was controversial for printing antisemitic polemics such as The Protocols of the Elders of Zion. Coughlin claimed that Marxist atheism in Europe was a Jewish plot against America. The December 5, 1938, issue of Social Justice included an article by Coughlin which reportedly closely resembled a speech made by Joseph Goebbels on September 13, 1935, attacking Jews, atheists and communists, with some sections being copied verbatim by Coughlin from an English translation of the Goebbels speech.
In 1942, the periodical's second class mailing permit was revoked under the Espionage Act of 1917 as part of Attorney General Francis Biddles efforts against "vermin" publications.
MSM v.1-1936 – v.9 1942
Tablet (London, England)
Published: London : The Tablet Publishing Co.
Publication history: v. <1>- (no. 1- ); May 16, 1840-
Notes: "The international Catholic weekly."
Call number: Microfilm no. 2271.
ND - Summary holdings: 1840-1868,1872,1877,1907-1908.
MSM – v.4 (189) Dec.23, 1843 – v.5 (242) Dec. 28, 1844; v. 6 (246) Jan. 25, 1845 – v. 6 (295) Dec. 27, 1845
The Tablet was launched in 1840 by a Quaker convert to Catholicism, Frederick Lucas, just 10 years before the restoration of the Catholic hierarchy in England and Wales. It is the second-oldest surviving weekly journal in Britain after The Spectator (which was founded in 1828). For the first 28 years of its life, The Tablet was owned by the Catholic laity. In 1868, Fr (later Cardinal) Herbert Vaughan, who had founded the only British Catholic missionary society, the Mill Hill Missionaries, purchased the journal just before the First Vatican Council that defined papal infallibility. At his death he bequeathed the journal to the Archbishops of Westminster, the profits to be divided between Westminster Cathedral and the Mill Hill Fathers.
The Tablet was owned by successive Archbishops of Westminster for 67 years. In 1935, Archbishop (later Cardinal) Hinsley sold the journal to a group of Catholic laymen. In 1976 ownership passed to The Tablet Trust, a registered charity.
The Tablet (Dublin)
MSM – v. 16 (786) May 5, 1855 – v. 16 (819) Dec. 22, 1855
As a result, the Dublin Review soon had a rival, The Tablet. The first issue appeared on May 16th 1840 and ranked “next in seniority” to the Dublin Review. Frederick Lucas was the founder of The Tablet which was destined for a colourful existence only terminated by Lucas' premature death. http://www.ianpaisley.org/article.asp?ArtKey=tablet
Der Wahrheitsfreund or Der Wahrheits-Freund (“The Friend of Truth”) was the first German-language Catholic newspaper in the United States and one of four German newspapers in Cincinnati, Ohio. It was published by the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Cincinnati, and proceeds went to the St. Aloysius Orphan Society.
Jahrgang 1 (2 – 52) 1837 Juli – 1839 August; Jahrgang 2 (1 – 52) 1838 Juli – 1839 Juli; Jahrgang 3 (1 – 52) 1839 August – 1840 Juli; Jahrgang 4 (1 – 52) 1840 August - 1841 Juli
At the time of the paper’s first issue on July 20, 1837, the Diocese of Cincinnati covered the entirety of Ohio and its English-language weekly, The Catholic Telegraph, had circulated for several years. The Wahrheitsfreund’s founder, vicar general John Henni, served as editor from its founding to his appointment as the first Bishop of Milwaukee in 1843. By 1875, the paper had 14,400 subscribers. In 1907, the Wahrheitsfreund merged with Rev. Joseph Jessing's Ohio Waisenfreund (Ohio Orphan's Friend).
Published: Cincinnati, Ohio : J.M. Henni, 1837-1907.
Description: 70 v.
Publication history: Jahrg. 1, Nr. 1 (20. Juli, 1837)-Jahrg. 70, Nr. 52 (19. Juni 1907).
Absorbed by: Ohio Waisenfreund.
The National Intelligencer newspaper was published in Washington, D.C. from about 1800 until 1870. Until 1810 it was named the National intelligencer, and Washington advertiser. Its name changed to the National Intelligencer starting with the issue of November 27, 1810. The newspaper was published daily from 1813 to 1867 as the Daily National Intelligencer and was the dominant newspaper of the capital. Samuel Harrison Smith, a prominent newspaperman, was an early proprietor. William Winston Seaton and Joseph Gales were its publishers for more than 50 years.
MSM 1855, 1856
The New world. A weekly family journal of popular literature, science, art and news.
Publisher: New-York, J. Winchester [etc.]
MSM 1840, 1841, 1842
The National Gazette and Literary Register was a daily newspaper published in Philadelphia by William Fry from 1820 to 1841
MSM 1823, 1824-25, 1826-27, 1828-29, 1830-31,1832, 1833
Guide to Maryland Newspapers
Featuring the Newspaper Collections of the Maryland State Archives
Catholic Newspapers in Microform:
A Directory of Works at Notre Dame